Ads 468x60px

Labels

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Turtle Cheesecake


I have put off making this cheesecake for two years. A family member requested it and I was honestly just afraid to make it. If it failed, it would be a very expensive fail. After a lot of looking and compairing I found this recipe at http://easybaked.net/2011/04/21/turtle-cheesecake/ . So many people raved about it that I had to try it. I tweaked just a few things, because I don't think I have ever bought margarine. I used regular, salted butter and added a few more caramels. Below is the slightly adapted recipe.

Turtle Cheesecake


Crust:
9 oz. chocolate wafer cookies 
1/4 c. butter (melted)

Cheesecake:
2 (8oz.) packages of Cream Cheese (softened)
1/2c. sugar
3 large eggs
2 c. white chocolate chips (melted)
1 c. heavy whipping cream
2 Tbs. butter (melted)
 3 tsp. vanilla

Caramel Topping:
36 Kraft caramels (unwrapped)
1/2c. butter (softened)
1 can (14oz.) sweetened condensed milk

Chocolate Topping:
1/4c. heavy whipping cream
1/2c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
About 25 pecan halves
 

Crush cookies into fine crumbs and add melted margarine.  Combine well and press into the bottom of a 9-Inch Spring form Pan. I use a food processor to get a fine blend. If the crumbs are too chunky, it's hard to pat in the pan. If you don't have a food processor, just use a sturdy zip-lock bag and a rolling pin. Just get ready to use those muscles! Do not use a cheap bag! It will bust and there will be little crumbs everywhere.

 Beat softened cream cheese with sugar until smooth.

Add eggs one at a time, beating in between each one.

Add remaining cheesecake ingredients, beating until smooth.

Pour into crust and allow to sit at room temp for 30 minutes.
 
Preheat oven to 325 degrees

Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 60 minutes

Turn off oven, open oven door a little and allow to sit for another 30 minutes. If it has a crack, that's ok. It will soon be covered with one of the most delicious caramel sauces I have ever tasted.

Remove from oven and run knife around edge of pan.  Remove edge of pan.

Allow to come to room temperature (make toppings during this time)

To make the caramel sauce, put the caramels, condensed milk and margarine into a saucepan and melt over medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth (6-8 minutes)

To make the chocolate sauce:  Put whipping cream into saucepan and heat just until bubbling at edges.  Turn heat off, add chocolate chips, cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes.

After 5 minutes, stir until smooth.

Pour caramel over top of cheesecake, smoothing to edges. Reserve some of the caramel and set aside. 

Refrigerate about 10 minutes.

Pour chocolate over caramel and smooth into a center circle. 

Place pecan halves on top and drizzle with any extra caramel you have. I put mine in a squirt bottle to drizzle. I used to dip my fork and fling it. I'd have caramel all over me, the walls. You get the picture. This makes it so much easier and you get more even lines.

Refrigerate the cheesecake overnight before serving for best consistency. If it gets soft, it is difficult to slice. Remove bottom part of pan when cake is chilled if you'd like. I just serve mine on the pan because I'm not risking tearing up this little beauty.




 Make this cheesecake! I promise you won't regret it. I think the key here is patience. Making a cheesecake is time consuming, but oh so worth it.

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome Beverly. You are so good at baking. Felicia Prevatt

    ReplyDelete